Thursday, September 27, 2007
My Upload Bandwidth?
Last night I was working with some of my pictures, posting a few to my blog, when the boys called up from downstairs..."Hey Mom, are you doing something on the internet?" They were trying to play Halo 3 and my picture uploads were interfering with their ability to use their xbox live to its full potential. I was finished with what I was doing, so life went on happily for them in their xbox world. I was working on several things around the house and on the computer, finishing up some things before bed, when I decided to upload a few pictures to my online picasa album. I really didn't think anything about it until I heard the boys in an xbox live game downstairs... It went something like this: "I can't pick up the flag! Hey guys, I'm here but I can't pick it up! ..." At this point it occurred to me that I was probably the problem, but I was keeping my fingers crossed that maybe it would be okay and I could finish my pictures, then came a voice from downstairs, "Mom, are you doing something again? You're using all our upload bandwidth! How long are you going to be doing that?" Me: "Maybe about 5 minutes?" (Which was probably optimistic - I had a lot of pictures!) "Is that going to be too long?" Well, it was... so being the nice person I am, I figured I could upload my pictures later and not use all their "upload bandwidth" while they were in the middle of saving the world on Halo 3! Later, Adam was kind enough to explain how things work with the whole upload bandwidth stuff and I did think it was interesting and it made sense....but I'll let him explain it to you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I was gonna post this in a comment, but it took too long, so here is the full post.
http://summerbreak05.blogspot.com/2007/09/networking-101.html
That is so funny. What a nice mom you are to let the kids have their fun. :)
I thought "Upload Bandwidth" was the name of a rock band.
Post a Comment